More magazine: December 2010/January 2011
This is More's first official review with Brooklyn Fit Chick. Let's give them a warm welcome shall we?
Cover Model: Jennifer Beals whom you either know from The L Word or Flashdance.
Jennifer has a new series coming out next year called Ride-Along that films in her home town of Chicago which means she gets to work in the hottest and coldest city I have ever been to in my life. (I love it there by the way!)
Here is a picture of the actress from inside the magazine:
Yup, she's still got it! AND she has a face that actually, you know, moves and makes expressions which is become a rarer thing to witness on the tube these days. Jennifer talks to More about avoiding Hollywood pitfalls, her love of heat and humidity as well as her search for "pathways to god."
So what else is in the December 2010/January 2011 More?
Jane Fonda's Biggest Regret:
Confession time, I am a huge Jane Fonda geek and have owned quite a few of her workout videos and DVDs in my time. Some I learned by heart!
Here we have Jane strutting her stuff while talking about her latest routines Prime Time Fit & Strong and Prime Time Walkout. She sheepishly defends getting plastic surgery, tells us her search to find a man that will "complete" her is is over, and wishes she had saved her original pair of leg warmers as they would bring in big money now. Here she is!
"Let's Get Physical" More Style:
This page gives me a serious case of the "I wants." Just look at all of this gear in gorgeous colors-- lesigh.
More Holiday Gift Guide:
Here we have page after page of amazing gifts for the entire family and I was very much in lerve with just about all of it. However, I have a bone to pick with the art staff at More. My one complaint with this otherwise excellent feature is that all of the pages are too damn dark and cluttered!
Serously, I am having a hard time picking out the different items featured. Tell me if I am wrong...
Cheers! How about some unique ideas for holiday cocktails? I say--yes, please! Check out this "Berry-Chili Fizz" concoction. (Ah, I can taste it just by looking at this photo...)
Julia Child: Mastering the Art of Friendship
A simply fantastic excerpt of the newest Julia Child tome, As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.)
Letters between the long-term pen pals are featured as well as the coolest picture of Julia Child I have ever seen are included in More.
Here she is at her family's cabin in Maine (1952.)
- "More's Second Annual Noisemaker Awards" "From Hollywood to Haiti, Arizona to Alaska, Georgia to the Gulf;" More picks the ladies who refuse to play nice and continue to raise their voices.
- "Class Warfare" I for one am sick and tired of reading about lousy teachers being the problem with our education system. More talks to Wendy Kopp of Teach for America fame and gets her take on what needs to be done for our kids now.
- "Best Health Advice for 2010" Love this! The best in the latest medical research. Thank you More health editors!
- "Rubber Soul" Should I buy one of those funny-looking running shoes that look like rubbery prehistoric feet? More looks at this hot trend in high-tech running gear. (Still don't know if I have the guts to try them...)
- "The Right and Wrong Way to Detox" If you read my Blog frequently (and really, shouldn't you just?) you know I hate the "detox" trend that Hollywood types want to promote for good health. More offers their own three-day version that is medically sound and won't break your bank. Imagine that Demi and Gwyneth!
Plus we have a plethora of beauty and fashion pages as well as some of the best "book" pages I have seen in a magazine for quite a while. This magazine truly speaks to a smart and stylish gal. Good on you More editors!
Overall Grade: B+!
This magazine claims to be "For Women of Style & Substance" and they deliver in spades. Smart, engaging, and some of the loveliest layouts I have seen in quite a while. I am being finicky about the dark and cluttered gift guide but only because I love what they featured so much that I wanted to see it in a prettier space.
See you in February More!
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
var _gaq = _gaq || ;
ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script'); s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);