What Did We Learn This Month?
Reviews of Allure, Bicycling and Oxygen magazines
Veering off a little bit here from my usual "pick one magazine and give it a deep review" thing. In case you were wondering (and gosh darn it--weren't you just?) I get about 25 mags per month (word!) and simply do not have the time to offer my opinion on all of them. (Boy, do some of them suck though!)
But there are always a few that linger at the bottom of my pile with brightly tabbed pages and I have every intention to get the word out before they are off the newsstands but time simply slips away from me before I can hit this old keypad.
This is just one day's worth of magazine loot for me:
So what to do with this conundrum?
Well just like that, it all of a sudden it struck me that a. I am the editor of this here Blog and therefore can do what I want with it and b. sometimes people only want a brief/recap review. Et voila! I decided to create Recaplets/Reviewlets of some of the best magazines available right now for your reading pleasure courtesy of me. You're welcome!
So let's do this thing!
The following magazines rocked my world in their own unique way this month.
Bicycling magazine: January/February 2011 issue
What's so great about Bicycling this month?
"Start it Up" Bicycling editors offer the best first meals of the day to have before all types of fitness activities from the simple 1-hour spin class up to a century ride. Most helpful.
"Silence a Noisy Bike"The tricks of the trade by the biking experts on how to creeky bike issue.
"20 Questions with George Hincapie" Cool dude and this month's cover boy who wants the biking world to remember him as "one of the hardest-working guys in the sport." And now they will.
"The Great Mechanic Within" 12 simple repairs anyone can master. Yes!
"City Slickers" The best bikes to get for tooling around the city.
Allure magazine: January 2011 issue
What's in the January "Special Issue" of Allure this month?
- This is their annual "makeover" issue so there's lots of cool pictures of women with groovy new haircuts and colors.
- "Insiders' Guide" Love this section! They always come with easy tips for life's little (and big) quandaries. This month they tackle "How to Choose Shapewear," How to Organize Your Closet" and "How to Stick to a Resolution." I need help with all three. Moving on...
- "Bouncing Back" How to handle life's "suffering blows" with panache.
Plus this fabulous story:
Allure's Meirav Devash (who works on their year-long reader health makeover stories) talks about losing more than 100 pounds through tenacity and hard work. Here she strikes a fetching pose. Va-va-voom!
Oxygen magazine: January 2011 issue
What's in the January Oxygen?
- 40 year-old cover model Monica Brant talks about her fitness modeling career as well as her best workout tips. Holy shit balls--look at those abs people!
- "Build Your Best Abs" Nuff said.
- Editor Tosca Reno talks about her The Eat-Clean Diet FOR MEN book. This woman actually sent me a personal Christmas card this year just because I blog about fitness. How cool is she?
- "Intervals to Go"The "no gym" items to have when getting to the club ain't happening. (Thanks for "plowing" our streets in Brooklyn--three days later, Mayor Bloomberg!)
- "Eat More Lose More" Wonderful squash recipes. Yum!
- "Love Your Oxygen Life" 33 ways to get healthy and feel better for good.
Well that's it for this month. Keep checking back here for more reviews, news you can use, silly videos, and all things fitness-y in 2011. I am here to cheer you all on!
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow Me On Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling)
var _gaq = _gaq || ;
ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script'); s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);