What Did We Learn This Month? SELF, May 2011
SELF magazine: May 2011
SELF Cover Star for May:
Gwyneth Paltrow, who called her grandmother the “C” word on Chelsea Lately the other night which makes me like the both of them (actress and TV host) just that much more.
Gwyneth has been making the rounds with the media promoting her new book My Father’s Daughter: Delicious, Easy Recipes Celebrating Life, Family & Togetherness (did she get paid by the word?)
SELF gets Gwyneth to offer readers a glimpse of her book (including recipes that I plan to try out myself,) her workout schedule (90 minutes most days of the week) and her controversial Blog GOOP.com. (I’ll admit I get it just to make fun of the content—so sue me!)
Here is a picture of Gwyneth looking casual and gorgeous as always from the pages of her article in SELF:
What else is there to say? She’s perfect. Her life is perfect. And she could give a shit what the rest of us think. Moving on…
So What Else is in the May SELF?
"Healthy Beauty Awards 2011"
Round-ups like this are pure catnip for me because I loves me some beauty and here we get the results on make-up, skin and hair care from over 2200 readers who tested “a year’s worth a products.” Enjoy!
"Give Road Biking a Spin"
SELF is ratcheting it up even further for me by offering a very helpful cycling story that encourages “spinners” to turn into “bikers.”
“Drop 10: Quick Slimming”
SELF’s fabulous fitness director, Meaghan B. Murphy, has a new challenge for those who wish to finally drop those last ten pounds and here we get 6 exercises that are to be done as “Tabata intervals” or “20-second bursts with 10-second rests, eight times.” Trying these out on my own right away!
“Do You Have a Killer Career?”
Having a high pressure career? A boss who will hassle you even on the weekends? A commute that would try the patience of Gandhi? Well guess what? It can also KILL you. Read this article to help gain some perspective. Very important.
As we head into the warmer months, drinking water and keeping well-hydrated will be more important than ever. Believe it or not—this is a four-page article about water and it is actually interesting. Check it out.
The Rest of the Best of the May SELF:
- "Running While Pregnant” Writer Sasha Brown-Worsham discussed her love of running and how she kept up her usual runs right until she was about to give birth (essentially.) I have women taking my spin classes right up to their 9th month so this does not shock me. Cool article and inspiring to fellow jocks.
- "Wheel Winners" Technically and extension of the story about biking from before but this page has gear that gives me the “I wants.”
- "Tropical Storm” After a bout with dehydration last summer; I became a coconut water convert. Here we get a fair analysis of some of the not-so-realistic claims that people give the stuff. I will continue to use during all of my classes.
- "Hand Signals" SELF came up with a story that had me at “hello.” It’s all about hands and different “hand-y” things like nails, fingers, palms and such and what is says about your health. Cool!
- "Fresh Air & Fun!" Ideas for unbelievably fun vacations where you can run, swim, and kayak to your heart’s content. Can I get my brain to finally acknowledge that winter is over?
SELF is always a great read and beautiful to look at. Once again—I felt the workout pages lacking in number but not in quality.
You can check out SELF online here:self.com.
See you in June SELF!
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: BrooklynFitChik (be sure to note the spelling!)