What Did We Learn This Month?
Recaps of More, Oxygen Special: ABS and Prevention
Hey there! Hi there! Ho there!
I am so sorry to be late with my posts but my life has been a whirlwind since Fitbloggin’ and I am just getting out from under a pile of magazines and e-mails.
Anyhoo, today I have some recaps for a few fun reads to get your 3-Day weekend started. Hope you all have a lovely holiday with sun & fun aplenty.
Whenever you can, please take some time to remember those who fought for our country. (The real reason for Memorial Day)
More: June 2011 issue
The magazine written “for women of style & substance” has quite a few interesting articles that will make you go “ooh, “ah” and “hmmm” this month. Let’s dive in shall we?
- Christy Turlington: The supermodel from the land of the 90s was always more substantive than her cohorts and she continues to be a class act. Years ago while going through a difficult (and almost life threatening) childbirth the NYU grad decided to dedicate her life to raising awareness about women’s health issues around the world. Be sure to check out her film on the topic: No Woman, No Cry.
- Stevie Nicks: My imaginary rock icon/best friend talks about the inspiration for her new album In Your Dreams and how she stays so hot-looking. (Is she really 63 years-old?! Holy shit!)
- "Ch-Ch-Changes" How to take care of life’s aging hassles including spider veins, sun spots & saggy knees. Not that I am saying that is your problem…
- Anne Heche The lovely, kooky, and brave actress in an adorable photo shoot to promote the HBO hit show Hung.
- “God Save the Beauty Queens” Did you know there are beauty pageants happening every weekend in America for women in their 30s, 40s and 50s? I sure as hell didn’t and the thought of it scares me. Read this story by Tamara Jones and let me know what you think.
- “Robin Milona’s War” Just in time for Memorial Day weekend we have a story here about the struggles of female soldiers returning home from Iraq including the subject of this article. Heavy stuff folks.
Check out More online at: more.com
Oxygen Special: Abs: Spring 2011 issue
On newsstands right now from Oxygen magazine is this special issue to get your abs in beautiful shape for the summer. Lots of inspiration six-packs on chicks here.
- “The Great Abs Debate" So funny because just today I was going back and forth with someone about whether you can work out your abs/core most days of the week. Oxygen spoke to author Jake Nash, BSME, CSCS and asked him to give the plus and minuses of each side of the debate.
- “Six-Pack Foods” Here we get the super foods for flat bellies from Dr. Oz himself.
- “Your Flat-Belly Guarantee” Not sure you can guarantee that sort of thing but we get an excellent fitness routine here.
- “Whittle Your Middle with Soup” I am a total soup freak so this hits my sweet spot.
- “5 Steps to Sexy Abs” Oxygen shows us how to take the core routine “to the next level.”
- “Walk Your Weight Off” Tosca Reno gives her tips for an active walking workout that will work your entire core without stressing your joints.
- “Lean & Lithe in Minutes” Excellent dancers’ moves to get a graceful (and strong) physique.
Check out Oxygen’s web site at: Oxygenmag.com
Prevention: June 2011 issue
Finally we have Prevention magazine with lovely Teri Hatcher on the cover.
- Teri Hatcher: I had no idea the health travails that the star of Desperate Housewives has been through the last couple of years. The 46 year-old triathlete has experienced two cracked ribs, a surgery to deal with ovarian cysts, a pole-dancing mishap on the set of her show and finally something called “frozen shoulder” which will hopefully go away on its own in the next year or so. Sorry Teri!
- "An End to Pain" I have friends who swear by acupuncture to cure everything from back pain to headaches to food issues. Here we get a look at the research of which ailments it has been proven to be effective in treating.
- “Why I Love Surfing” Karen Rinaldi talks about how learning to surf cured her of a childhood fear of the ocean (she spent summers at the Jersey Shore) and taught her the value of patience with herself.
- “The New Vegetarians” Not sure if I will ever be in this group of eaters but damn I admire their persistence and dedication!
- “Destination: Healthy Travel” Prevention helps you plan your summer getaway with tips on how to fight airborne illnesses, getting sleep in different time zones, keep your sex life sexy on the road and not having bedbugs follow you back home. Helpful!
- “A Better Burger 2011” Summer time in 2011 and most of us are craving burgers. Sick of red meat? Try these tasty ideas for burgers including Wild-Mushroom-Lentil, Crab Cake and BBQ Sliders. Nom nom!
Check out Prevention online here: Prevention.com
Coming up next week—reviews of Health, Women’s Health, SELF, fitness and more. Y’all come back now!
Until next time…
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow Me On Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)