What Did We Learn This Month?
Recaps of Bicycling, Food & Wine and Muscle & Fitness Hers
Hey there! Hi there! Ho there!
It’s that time again—magazine recap time. So I will stop wasting your time and dive right in today. You’re welcome!
Bicycling: April 2012
- “2012 Buyers Guide” This is known as “bike porn” people! Just about the whole issue is devoted to everything related to bikes and bike-buying. If you are in the market for a new bike (or you just want to know what’s out there)—this is the magazine for you.
- Women’s Road
- Entry (Road)
- Enthusiast Road
- Full Suspension
- Plush Road (Meaning pricey!)
- “Mass Appeal” Bicycling somehow managed to find cool-looking helmets. Really!
- “Below the Belt” The best gear to wear on two wheels and tested by the staff of Bicycling.
Check out Bicycling online here: www.bicycling.com
Food & Wine: March 2012 (Yay for food porn!)
- “50 Ways to Get Stronger, Smarter & Healthier” The editors found ways to “boost your brain power” from foods to cleaning products to face cream. (These kind of shopping pages give me the “I wants” big time!
- “A Hedonist’s Guide to Healthy Vacations” Getting away doesn’t have to mean weight gain and lack of proper exercise. The best healthy options for the most fun of destinations: Las Vegas, New Orleans and Honolulu.
- “Germination Nation” Food & Wine looks at the “sprouted food” trend.
- “The Healthy Eating Program” Very amusing writer A.J. Jacobs (author of the upcoming Drop Dead Healthy: One Man’s Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection) talks about overcoming his reluctance to healthy foods and vegetables.
- “DIY Yogurt” Did you know you can make the stuff yourself? Really!
- “Healthy Snack Attack” Six recipes for “nom nom”-worthy treats that are actually good for you. Huzzah!
- Gail Simmons: The Top Chef star shares her favorite home recipes from her new book Talking with my Mouth Full.
- “In Praise of Powerful Cabernets” Yes.
- “The 21st Century Healthy Pantry” Food & Wine asked for the shopping lists from three top innovators (including a vegan, a meat-loving chef and a baking “genius”) and managed to get some recipes from them as well. Score!
Check out Food & Wine online: www.foodandwine.com
Muscle & Fitness Hers: March 2012
- Dianna Dahlgren: Check out the abs of this cover gal! The 22 year-old figure pro comes by her love for muscles & exercise quite naturally as her father was a body builder and her mom a competitive arm wrestler—true story! Inside we get insight into Dianna’s training along with her favorite way to relieve stress (shopping!)
- "Top Five Training Tips for Every Body Part" Figure pro Felicia Romero offers her tips for keeping in top form while maintaining proper alignment.
- “Flip & Grip” Pretty cool article showing how just changing the way you grip equipment at the gym can give your workout a needed boost.
- “6 Protein Packed Soups” Soup is one of the few things that make winter tolerable for me.
- “Supps to Fill You Up” I am not a fitness competitor and am trying not to be judgmental about the use of supplements but I am not a fan of this list of the best supplements (according to the editors) for helping you feel full. Please know that eating lean proteins and drinking plenty of water throughout the day for MOST of us will do the trick. Please!
- “Top 5 Glutes Exercises” The best moves to get your fanny in shape.
Check out Muscle & Fitness Hers online www.muscleandfitnesshers.com
That’s all she wrote today folks. Be sure to check back for more recaps soon.
Until next time…
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow Me On Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
“Friend” me on Facebook: “Brooklyn FitChick”