What Did We Learn This Month?
Recaps of Oxygen, Prevention and Yoga Journal
Hello everyone! I have a few magazine recaps to get to so why don’t we just hit the ground running?
Oxygen: March 2012
- Alicia Harris: Our cover model is from Wheaton, Illinois who was known for being lightning fast on the track at college (Eastern Illinois University) and is now on the International Fitness competition route. Look at those abs folks!
- “Sweep Up a Hot Bod!” Oxygen is a Canadian-based publication so imagine my delight when I saw an article about curling! You can get some serious abs with this workout and here we get some moves to get us in curling-ready shape. Seriously—I want to try curling! Who’s with me?
- “Sweat Relief” Seven “fast fixes” (beauty products you can get at the local drug store natch!) that will help you glow in a nice way after a visit to the gym.
- "Your Strong Body Guide" One of the things I really love about this magazine is how strong the women featured are and this routine will produce sexy, sleek muscles.
- “Fuel Your Fitness” The best options for pre- and post-workout meals.
- “Your Strong, Sexy Back—Fast!” The best exercises to get your body “tank top ready.”
- “Lean Legumes” Five ways to eat legumes such as beans and lentils on your “active days.”
- “Stay Calm, Stay Strong” Surf-inspired yoga moves that will bring calm into your life while helping sculpt muscles.
You can check out Oxygen at this site: www.oxygenmag.com
Prevention: March 2012
- Michelle Obama: Prevention has the first lady on the cover and inside she reveals the workout she follows to get her strong and healthy and the age of 48.
- “Back in Action” If you have any kind of back issues, here we get four moves that will help strengthen the area while building strength.
- “7 Germiest Public Places” Yuck! Worth reading but now I am in fear of parking meters!
- “The New Naturals” A roundup of the latest in “natural cures” to see what works and what is just hype.
- “Walk this Way” Prevention shows how the “wrong” pair of shoes can throw your body off alignment which can actually cause injury and weight gain (look out for those flip flops, people!)
- “The Sugar Blockers Diet” If you are like me and need to get a handle on the sugars that can slip into your meals—these seven rules will help block those crazy things.
- “Blast Your Belly” A cool resistance-band workout that offers 3-in-1 toning moves.
- “Could it Happen Here?” Prevention looks into the preponderance of nuclear power plants that are near fault lines on the one-year anniversary of the meltdown in Japan. Try getting some sleep tonight after reading it! (Scary monsters here.)
Check out Prevention online: www.Prevention.com
Yoga Journal: March 2012
- "Easy on the Eyes" The best beauty products for around you eye area that are all natural and have “holistic practices.”
- “Go with the Grain” Yoga Journal talks about how to cook and flavor a whole slew of grains to make trying new ones easy and tasty including millet, faro and wheat berries.
- “Basics: Plank Pose” I teach this move constantly in my classes but love having new ways to describe how to perform one properly.
- “Playing with Power” How to take your home practice to a whole new level with some help from Alexandra Crow that you can also view online at www.yogajournal.com/livemag.
- “Play it Forward” Key yoga poses that will help improve your athletic skills and decrease the chance of injuries.
Check out Yoga Journal online www.yogajournal.com
That's all she wrote for today folks. Be sure to check back for more recaps soon.
Until next time…
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow Me On Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
“Friend” me on Facebook: “Brooklyn FitChick”