What Did We Learn This Month?
SELF: March 2012
SELF Cover Star for March:
Katharine McPhee graces the cover of the March issue and currently stars in a glassy TV show that is beyond silly and insanely enjoyable, Smash. With this part it looks as if she is finally able to shake off the (had to be annoying) American Idol runner-up label.
Katherine plays a character named Karen who is fresh off the bus from Iowa (a place she does NOT to go back to,) has a wonderful voice and a fresh-faced innocence that does not get the lead in the “Marilyn Musical” (spoiler alert.)
My love for Smash has transformed into a drinking game. Next time you catch the show, take a sip of your favorite beverage every time:
- Debra Messing sports yet another scarf.
- Whenever the character Ellis overacts in a devious manner.
- Every time a Marilyn Monroe film is mentioned.
- Every shot of “apartment porn” (i.e.; homes that look like a millionaire resides there.)
- Debra Messing’s character looks to be in DEEP THOUGHT.
In the SELF interview Katherine talks about her long hours on the New York City-based set and how she would normally spend her days show-free. Plus, we get her favorite “1-Hour Workout” which was created by her trainer Oscar Smith and “kicks ass.”
Katharine looks gorgeous on the cover in a “Pleasure Doing Business” dress and is photographed by Robert Erdman.
So What Else is in the March SELF?
"The #1 Way to Melt Fat"
Get ready to jump some rope! This routine comes from Gerard Calvo of Equinox in New York City and will blast some serious calories.
Look! It’s Punky!
Actress & author Soleil Moon Frye is our featured model here for a workout created by her trainer Teddy Bass and utilizes Bass’ “RockBottomBody” ball that you can order online at RockBottomBody.com for $50.
“Best of the Worst”
Say you have a yen for spuds but want to avoid the calories and fats—check out some healthy options here! (Few things in life make me happier than a good helping of fries!)
“Kick Start to Sexy”
Are you ready for some kettlebells! Russian-born Dasha Libin (her grandfather taught the Russian army how to use them—true story!) gives us this torcher of a series.
“Your Body on Yoga”
Yoga can enhance your sex life, lower stress as well as help you sleep longer and better. So why wait? Go for some sun salutations people!
Yes, you can load up on carbs with these “non nom”-worthy recipes.
The Rest of the Best of the March SELF:
- "Brag Bag” I am always on the lookout for a new gym bag and SELF offers some fun options here.
- "Healthy SELF Handbook" Lots of great information here on how to get healthy in 2012 including the top ‘immunity boosters,” tips on how to fight off an illness on your sick day properly (I load up on Theraflu and watch Bravo TV all day) and battling “nasty bugs.”
- "Get Happier for Free” You don’t have to bust your budget to buy happiness when some simple mind tricks and positive thoughts can help you scare away the blues. This plan is two-weeks of pleasure-enhancing goodness.
- “Sunny & Bright” Loved these fashion and beauty pages which have me looking forward to spring weather like no one’s business! (The BCBG MaxAzria dress on page 133 is so divine!)
- “Divorced, Broke, Living with Mom” This essay from Pari Chang really got to me. In essence, Chang went from living the good life in Manhattan with her successful husband and baby to (over a series of circumstances) now lives back with her mother and is trying to eke out a living as a writer.
A Good workouts, scientifically sound advice for getting healthy, fun pasta recipes and gorgeous fashion pages always make me smile!
You can check out SELF online at: www.Self.com
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: BrooklynFitChik (be sure to note the spelling!)
“Friend” me on Facebook at “Brooklyn FitChick”