What Did We Learn This Month?
Women’s Health: March 2012
Women’s Health Cover Star for March:
Funny and talented actress Elizabeth Banks, who stars in one of my favorite comedies of all time (Wet, Hot American Summer,) is on the cover of the March issue and she talks about everything important in her life from her relationship to her husband (they have been together 19 years!) her new baby boy Felix, and also the upcoming release of the film version of The Hunger Games (I am dying to see that.)
Elizabeth seems like that really cool friend who has no idea how pretty she is and would rather talk about anything other than boring show biz stuff. (I could just be projecting there.)
Here is a photo of the actress from inside the magazine taken by Jeff Lipsky.
So what else is in the March issue of Women’s Health?
“The New Superfoods”
Check out these items the next you go to the supermarket and watch your good health skyrocket. (I can speak to the power of Jicama by the way.)
“Your Body on a Detox”
If you have ever had to endure reading and listening to folks drone on and on about “juice fasts” (I am looking at you Gwyneth!) this article is a nice antidote. The science behind detoxes and what rubbish they are (pardon the pun.)
“Turbocharge Your Enthusiasm”
Try out some of the exercises by Nick Tumminello who owns Performance University in Fort Lauderdale to get your metabolism revving.
“Blast Your Lower Half”
Adapted from the book Six Weeks to Skinny Jeans by Amy Cotta (Rodale) these moves will get your rear end and legs in shape.
“Running on Empty Bottles”
An interesting and informative article—really! Turns out some of the “healthiest” people you see at the gym may indulge in some very unhealthy behavior outside of the cardio room. This I read with great interest.
And now the rest of the best of this issue of Women’s Health:
- "A Hotter Body—No Sweat!" What you do when you are not sweating at the gym can also make you healthy including getting more zzz’s and eating better snacks after a killer workout.
- "The Better Sex Workout" Yup, just as it sounds. (I actually use most of the moves in my core class already!)
- "Birth Control: Back to the Future?" IUD’s are making something of a comeback. Check out why they may be the better choice for birth control.
- "Bone Up" Women’s Health gives some great advice here on how to increase your bone health no matter what your age.
- “Foods That Make You Do Bad Things” Not ‘bad” like “rob a bank” bad but some foods will trigger a chemical that makes you want to eat more and more junk food. Am I making sense?
- “Going the Distance” One of the big reasons I decided to go to freelance route was because of the loathsome daily F-train commute. But for those who have no choice but to travel every day—tips on making your journey to and from work better.
- “Change Your Fate—Starting Now” Smart and scientifically sound ways to “outsmart” your DNA including inheritable illnesses such as depression, heart disease and breast cancer.
A! A smart read and chock full of fun articles mixed in with the useful stuff.
You can check out Women’s Health online as well: www.WomensHealthMag.com
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
Friend me on Facebook: “Brooklyn FitChick”