What Did We Learn This Month?
Health: July/August 2012
Health Cover Star for July/August:
On the cover we see the lovely Rebecca Romijn who arrived to her interview with Health armed with all of the notes she wanted to get across (the actress describes herself as an “interview nerd.” Rebecca offers her favorite tips for a healthy life including the workouts she prefers (cardio & yoga,) life on a tandem bike with husband actor Jerry O’Connell and her favorite candles she bought from a fancy schmancy hotel in Paris (I want this woman’s life!)
Matt Jones is the Rebecca’s photographer for this issue and she looks beautiful both on the cover and inside the magazine.
So what else is inside the July/August Health?
"I Want My Waist Back”
The July/August Health is their special “Flat-Belly Issue” so you will find all kinds of advice on how to slim down your waist (should that be your concern.) I like the special workout created by master trainer Jeanette Jenkins who completely rules. (Follow Jeanette on Twitter @JeanetteJenkins for all kinds of inspiration and fitness stuff.)
Loved this big section on 13 Olympians who will represent the U S A this summer! Seriously—the Olympics just about make my life worth living each summer they come around. How many of you feel the same way?
Anyhoo, this feature offers us their secrets to fitness, easing pains, favorite meals and more. Check out this photo of US Hurdler Lolo Jones—love watching strong women succeed in sports!
"Your Memory: A User’s Manual"
Sorry—what was I going to write? Hardy har har—just kidding. This article is all about taking care of your brain and boosting your memory. Believe me you are never too young to work on “memory woes.” If you are one of those people who forget names (as I do) this will be the perfect read for you.
And now the rest of the best of this issue of Health:
- “Great Legs (in a Hurry”) All about getting your stems ready for summer weather from hair removal to self-tanner to “making veins vanish.”
- “Can You Eat Late and Still Lose Weight?” Experts advise against eating into the wee hours. Find out how to break the “eat late” cycle here.
- "What Healthy Really Looks Like” I really enjoyed this story! All of your body parts and byproducts should look a certain way. Find out if you are “normal” vis a vis your nails, poop, eyes, skin and more. Really!
- "Meatless Made Yummy” In the past few months I have been weaning myself off of meat consumption which is healthy but man it can be very, very boring at times. Imagine my happiness at the sight of this feature of Vegetarian recipes courtesy of the new cookbook The Meat Free Monday Cookbook by Paul, Mary and Stella McCartney. (My inner Beatles geek is dancing with glee!)
- “Wash & Glow” Washing your face properly is one of the best ways to take care of your skin but it doesn’t need to cost a fortune. I like the products mentioned here (but I am a sucker for beauty stories as you all very well know!)
Follow Heath online at: www.Health.com
Overall Grade: B+ Overall this is a good read but I wish there were more workout and shopping pages.
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
Friend Me on Facebook: “Brooklyn FitChick”