What Did We Learn This Month?
SELF: July 2012
SELF Cover Star for July: Fergie!
July is SELF’s special “Music Issue” so they have tons of playlist ideas plus the diet & exercise advice from music biggies like Grace Potter, Rhianna; Beyoncé and Ms. Fergie who is featured on the cover.
Fergie is almost as well-known for her kickin’ curves as she is for her booming voice and here she offers her reasons for staying sane and fit in such a crazy business.
• Fergie has learned to accept and love herself at 37 versus when she was 18 and believes in taking care of herself.
• Saturday evenings she and her husband Josh Duhamel go to mass and then have dinner together to fill their spiritual side.
• Though she has a trainer and pays attention to her workouts—Fergie knows that sometimes you need to push your body hard and other times—you need to rest and recover.
So What Else is in the July SELF?
"2012 Olympics Inspiring Women"
SELF features the some of the best female athletes who are set to compete at this year’s Olympics including the fabulous Lolo Jones (see below.)
"The Weighing Game”
I don’t know about you but I go though phases where I weight myself constantly (which I know is bad) and then never at all (which is also not good.) This story confirms that weekly weigh-ins is a far more sensible (and mentally healthy) option!
“The Perfect Week of Cardio”
I really liked this feature that describes the just right amount of cardio exercise you need each week.
If you haven’t heard this band yet—you should check them out. Grace Potter is not only gorgeous and talented but she can also cook up a storm. SELF managed to get a few recipes that Grace and her crew enjoys while on the road that are healthy and delicious.
“The Ultimate Workout Song”
In this issue we get tons of suggestions for great workout music from the editors of SELF plus celebrities like Alec Baldwin who actually mentions “Hear About it Later” by Van Halen which is one of my favorite songs by that band. (Okay Alec!)
Anyhoo, according to trainers, athletes and the editors of SELF—“Sexy and I Know It” by LMFAO is the perfect workout song and list the various reasons why.
“JoJo + Dolvett = Knockout Legs”
Singer JoJo trained with Dolvett Quince of The Biggest Loser to get in shape for an upcoming tour and we get some of her moves here.
The Rest of the Best of the July SELF:
• "Slimmer in Seconds. Really!” Beauty tricks that will highlight all of your gorgeousness.
• "Rock Star Hair" If you want your mane to get that rock chick update—SELF has some ideas on how you can get the look of your favorite goddess.
• "5 Foods That Keep You Summer Sexy” The superfoods you need to keep on hand all summer.
• “Burn, Baby, Burn” All of the best advice to make your cardio workouts count for as much as possible.
• “SELF’s Top 100 Tracks” I am buying quite a few of these for my classes for sure.
A Being a music freak I really loved the overall theme and I pulled out plenty of pages in this issue to take away with me. Good work SELF!
You can check out SELF online at: www.Self.com
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: BrooklynFitChik (be sure to note the spelling!)
“Friend” me on Facebook at “Brooklyn FitChick”