What Did We Learn This Month?
Shape: August 2012
Shape Cover Star for August:
Jordin Sparks is on the cover of the August issue of Shape. She was apparently on American Idol during the 2010 season and did very well. Confession time—I don’t watch TV “talent” shows and have never, ever, EVER seen an episode of American Idol. This is certainly not a decision based on snobbery (With several episodes of My Cat from Hell on my DVR—who the hell am I to judge other people’s taste?) So I have to discuss Jordin based simply on this interview and I must say she seems like a good egg.
Anyhoo, Jordin has lost over 50 pounds from her 5’ 10” frame after deciding in December 2010 to get healthy before her 21st birthday. (21st! Oh my god, she is so young as well!) Once she tweeted a photo of herself after having lost 30 pounds the offers from Hollywood started pouring in (which is kind of depressing but that’s show business for you!)
And just like that, she was cast in the upcoming movie Sparkle which co-stars the late Whitney Houston. (Jordin is considering getting a tattoo of a dove in Whitney’s honor.)
Jordin also offers us a glimpse into her workout routine developed by Reebok trainer Jade Alexis here:
So what else is inside the August Shape?
“Go for a Spin”
Now, back to something I actually know about! Spinning is how I got started into the fitness business and this page will give you all need to know to get started on your first class.
“Get a Gold Medal Body”
As I type this I have the 2012 Summer Olympics playing in the background. Here we have eight of the top U.S. athletes talking about their favorite workout moves.
“Slim in a Splash”
Say you are lucky enough to have access to a pool (oh, do you even know how lucky you are?)—USA Triathlon coach Melissa Mantak has the perfect workout plan described on this page.
Workout of the Month
August’s “Workout of the Month” is brought to us by “Synergy 7 System” creator Kit Rich who is a Pilates instructor and she offers a vigorous series of exercises that will help clear your head. (Kit is not one to sit still for traditional meditation—I like this woman!)
"The World’s Best Burgers"
Maybe it is because I am really hungry right now but I just want to EAT this page. (USA Sirloin Burger with bourbon caramelized onion.
Though the swimming medalist did not make the team this year—she is still a total badass.
And now the rest of the best of this issue of Shape:
- "Dance Your Butt Off” Did you Zumba fans can get Aqua Zumba and Zumba in the Circuit? Well now you do!
- "Signs You Need to Trade In Your Trainer" Great advice from David Van Daff, vice president of membership for the National Academy of Sports Medicine.
- “Summer’s Hot New Cookbooks” If you have central AC (unlike me) than some new recipes might be up your alley.
- “Feel Good in Flip-Flops” Several styles of my favorite kind of show that will not throw your back out.
- “Hips Don’t Lie” As essay by Nicole Dorsey Straff who had to have major surgery as a result of her years as a “fitness addict.” (She is doing much better now by the way!)
- “Break Free from Fear” Shape helped three women with different kinds of phobias to move past their fears.
Follow Shape magazine online at: www.Shape.com
A There is a ton of good information in this issue plus some fun workout moves to try on your own.
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
“Friend” me on Facebook at “Brooklyn FitChick”