What Did We Learn This Month?
Recaps of Bicycling, Muscle & Fitness Hers and Prevention
Hey there! Hi there! Ho there!
I will not complain about the heat again for the million, zillionth time (honestly—no one needs to hear me on that topic.) Let’s just suffice to say that I am MOST happy to be indoors reading and writing about magazines on a day like this and call it a day, shall we?
Anyhoo, here are my latest magazine recaps. Enjoy!
Bicycling: September 2012
• “Hard Core” Bicycle offers quick and useful abs routines to get your middle stronger. (Hey editors—I teach four core classes per week in case you ever want to ask me!)
• “Chips Off the New Block” My love for salty and crunchy snack foods knows no bounds and this lineup of the latest in all things chip-related had my attention. (Though nothing beats my low-salt Trader Joe’s kettle cooked potato chips—nom nom!)
• “Vintage Rides” Combine two things I absolutely love –wine and cycling. That is pure bliss my friends. Here we get the best rides near vineyards around the world.
• “Sweat” Really great feature on that most human of physical reactions—sweat. All you need to know about how much you should (or shouldn’t) sweat is here.
• “The Best Ride in Every State” The sole reason all cyclists should get this issue.
Check out Bicycling online here: www.bicycling.com
Muscle & Fitness Hers: July/August 2012 (Ack! I am late on this recap!)
• Natalie Coughlin: The Olympic swimmer talks about her favorite gym moves plus her diet during training (lots of home grown veggies.)
• “How I Train My Calves” Experts in the field (Leigh Brandt, Mona Muresan and Danielle Rubin Martin) talk about the calves routine.
• “Ava Takes New York!” Ava Cowen talks about moving to New York City from Florida and all of the adjusting she has done to get her modeling and TV career off the ground. She is still a little lonesome in the big city but she is learning to adjust quite nicely. I really love her list for “12 Things I Never Knew About New York” with #1 being “Where I was—at all!”
• “Sun-Safe Gear” Need to get more of these babies as my August rides are coming up!
• Candice Keene: A day in the life of the IFBB figure pro who trains and goes to college full time. (Oh, and the occasional girls night out, of course.)
• “Get Arms Like Ava” Ava Cowen shows us six triceps moves to get your arms looking foxy.
• “Get Stronger While You Sleep” 11 tips to get those zzz’s your body craves.
• “Total Body Blast” IFBB physique pro Dana Linn Bailey shows us her version of a total body circuit.
Check out Muscle & Fitness Hers online: www.muscleandfitnesshers.com
Prevention: September 2012
• Marie Osmond: Marie takes us through her average week living on Las Vegas which includes walking a rambunctious puppy, date nights with her husband (she remarried her first love after 26 years apart) and some very late night journaling. Her puppy’s name is George and he is on the cover with her—what a cutie!
• “Problem Solved: Acid Reflux” If you have acid reflux Prevention has advice on lifestyle changes, medical treatments and natural remedies to help.
• “Stand Up to Back Pain” Simple steps to fighting off back pain that require no drugs or surgeries.
• “A Bright, Healthy Future” President Obama wrote this essay about his hopes for his daughters to heave a healthy future.
• “Foods That Fight Pain” The items to add to your grocery cart (Including ginger, cherries and turmeric) as a healthy solution to all types of ailments.
• “20 Minutes to Slim & Sculpted” SandBell pro Brook Benten shows us what a SandBell is (a sand-filled bag used as a weight) and how to use them. Looks pretty neat!
Check out Prevention online: www.prevention.com
That’s all she wrote today folks. Be sure to check back for more recaps soon.
Until next time!
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow Me On Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
“Friend” me on Facebook: “Brooklyn FitChick”