What the“Men’s” Taught Us This Month:
Recaps of Men’s Fitness, Men’s Health and Men’s Journal
Hey there! Hi there! Ho There!
The September issues are coming in and the time is right to recap the latest Men’s Fitness, Men’s Health and Men’s Journal. I have been asked by these "Men's" magazines to pick a “winner” so check out my personal favorite at the bottom.
Let’s do this thing!
Men’s Fitness: September 2012
- Arnold Schwarzenegger: I am on team Maria so can’t say I am in the mood to go over Arnold’s achievements but it is fun to look at old photos of the former Governor from his Mr. Universe days. That’s all I got with this one.
- “25 Best Action Stars” 25 of the hottest action stars of all time who possess a certain “cachet” that appealed to the editors of Men’s Fitness. (Nice shot of Steve McQueen in there!)
- “Get Lean With Yoga” Chris Jericho herniated a disc in his back while filming Dancing With the Stars a couple of seasons ago and was able to get his health back in shape (while shedding a few extra pounds) with yoga. Check him out on page 28!
- Dolph Lundgren: Always nice to see the Russian baddie from Rocky 4. ("I must break you!")
- “What’s in Your Food?” Try not to get the willies after reading this piece on what disgusting things can wind up in your food. Gross!
- “The State of Health in America” A welcome surpise to see fitness guru Jake Steinfeld,whom I have always respected as a health & wellness pro. in the pages of this magazine. Jake talks about the current state of health and health-related issues in the U.S.. Plus, he was hilarious in The Money Pit!
You can check out Men’s Fitness: www.mensfitness.com
Men’s Health: September 2012
- Liam Hemsworth: This Australian hottie is engaged to Miley Cyrus and has a big-time movie career so I am assuming we will be reading about him for a looong time. Okay by me! (Plus, he admits he actually works hard to stay in shape which is nice to hear from a young guy in his 20s.)
- “Weekend Fat Blaster” This is a really great outdoor workout that I am taking to my next boot camp and was created by Dan John—author of Never Let Go.
- “Travel, Debugged” If you are travelling somewhere exotic and worry about catching something creepy (like malaria—yeesh!)you need to read this article first.
- “How to Do Everything Better” Fun & cool tips on how to do a variety of guy things including sweeping a woman off her feet (literally!) and cuss like a sailor (I can give anyone a run for their money here.)
- “How Well Do You Know You’re Friends” Men’s Health exclusive survey about dudes and, um dude stuff. (Did you know 78% of guys would sleep with a female friend if given the opportunity?)
- “You’re Doing it Wrong” If there is any sentence that enrages me quickly it’s that one. Name me on woman who says she loves being corrected by her man and I will call her a wimp to her face. But this article was very helpful and informative. So I will let it go THIS time Men’s Health.
- “Your T, on E” Myatt Murphy writes about how testosterone corresponds with weight gain (and loss) plus he has a rather interesting “shower” test all men should do. (Page 86)
- “Meet Your Muscle Maker” Trainer B. J. Gaddour has a Speed Shred program to get you ripped in no time and an exclusive workout featured here.
- “Be the Man Your Dogs Think You Are” If you want to see a cute-as-hell doggie woggie—check out NFL Linebacker Kamerion Wimbley in this issue running with his terrier Yogi. (Aw!)
- “Fall Guide to Style” Just flip the magazine around and you will find even more content with the best in men’s fall fashion trends.
Check out Men’s Health online: www.MensHealth.com
Men’s Journal: September 2012
- “Style & Design 2012” Holy crap! There is just page after page of the coolest cars, tech stuff and gear that even made me drool. Get this issue for anyone in your life who appreciates design.
- “The Storm King” Rob Marciano is a CNN Meteorologist who likes to chase storms. This is just too nutty for me to comprehend.
- “Five Great Late-Summer Adventures” Its August already and you still have not taken time off? (Me neither—let’s go someplace together, shall we?)
- “Biking’s Rough New Frontier” I am a biker chick but some of the terrain these cyclists cover makes me scratch my head. (Rocky terrain? No thank you.)
- “Right Stuff, Wrong Time” The end of NASA has left the little science geek inside of me very sad and it turns out for very good reason.
- “The Benefits of Occasional Fasting” Not a big fan of deprivation myself but some swear it will ultimately add years to their life. Thankfully Men’s Journal takes the time to mention what a horrible practice the “Master Cleanse” is as well. (Can we all just pretend THAT was never a thing that actually happened?)
- “Five Ways to Take Control of Your Health Care” Do you think you are taking too many medical tests or perhaps not enough? Read this article to see how to best manage your health and health care provider.
Check out Men’s Journal online www.MensJournal.com
So which “Men’s” magazine is my favorite this time? I am giving to Men’s Health by a nose for featuring the amazing pooch Yogi on its pages. Good on you Men's Health!
Good luck next month Men’s Fitness and Men’s Journal!
Until next time…
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow Me On Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
“Friend” me on Facebook: “Brooklyn FitChick”