What Did We Learn This Month?
Fitness: October 2012
What Do We Learn This Month in Fitness?
"Why I Gave Up My Breasts"
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and Fitness covers the issue with one of the most compelling features I have read in quite some time. Margaret W. Smith decided to have a double mastectomy (without reconstruction) at the age of 29. Smith gives us the reasons she came to this particular decision plus she bravely posed for the portrait below. A must read!
"Germs at the Gym"
Be prepared to look at everything differently at the gym from now on. (Now, will someone please hand me some hand sanitizer?)
“Fitness Beauty Awards 2012”
Fitness picks the best of the best of this year’s crop of beauty products and I will want to run out and get most of them right away.
“Get Into the Groove”
Madonna has a fit and fab body so it comes as no surprise to me that she owns her own global gym chain—Hard Candy Fitness. Fitness has a routine from Hard Candy Fitness called “Jaw Breaker Chair” that features a chair and looks pretty cool though I am thinking you will need one really sturdy chair to do these moves.
The provocatively titled DVD for this workout is called Jaw Breaker Chair: Dripping Wet. True story!
"On the Ball”
I love using a stability ball for my core workouts and these moves from Nedra Lopez of Studio by Remorca Fitness in New York City look very challenging indeed.
"The New Rules of Fitness”
Forget about the old standby rules you have heard about fitness including one needs to have a sneaker with extra stability to be effective or that you have to have a gym buddy in order to workout harder (sometimes going it alone will help you gain focus and work ever harder.)
I liked the section that showed these “classic moves” done in a whole new way.
And now the rest of the best of this issue of Fitness:
- “Make Tonight a Total Snoozefest” Getting more sleep has been a big goal of mine this year and articles like this one are a big help for me.
- "Saving Face” Secrets for getting beautiful skin from top dermatologists.
- "See Spot Run" Taking your pooch out for a walk can include all kinds of extra exercise including lunges, sprints and jogging. Also features the best leashes to get for your particular breed of furry companion.
- "Ride On!” A complete “how-to bike ride” story that always makes me happy and makes me wish I could get on my bike right now.
- “Best of the Crunch” Fitness offers their “Healthy Food Awards for 2012.”
- “Healthy Little Helpers” A shopping page featuring some of the coolest kitchen gear I have seen in some time.
A! This is one of my favorite issues of Fitness in quite some time. Tons of great information and workouts are featured here.
You can follow Fitness magazine at www.fitnessmagazine.com
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
Friend me on Facebook: “Brooklyn FitChick”
You Tube: BrooklynFitChick1