What Did We Learn This Month?
Recaps of More, Oxygen and Prevention
Hey there! Hi there! Ho there!
I am back from conventions and work stuff and ready to rock it like a hurricane people! That's right--Brooklyn Fit Chick is back and
ready for some magazine recapping so let’s just dive right in and do this thing!
More: October 2012
- Salma Hayek: The beyond-gorgeous actress started her career as soap star in Mexico and through hard work and will has created an incredible life for herself. At 46-years old (!) Salma runs many businesses including her own line of juices and a beauty line sold at CVS. Plus when she is not filming with Adam Sandler or creating hit TV shows (Ugly Betty) she is a an attentive mom to five-year old Valentina. I need a nap just reading how busy she is! (I have loved her work on 30 Rock!)
- “Look Better with Age” 20 women offered their secrets to looking and feeling their best.
- “Your Fall Beauty Shopping List” I love, love, love me some beauty stories and these pages had me very eager to go out and try all of the lotions and potions.
- “Hail to the Sheath” This being an election year (have you noticed?) More asked seven newswomen to try on the hot fall trend—sheath dresses. Included are Christina Bellantoni, Chris Jansing, Soledad O’Brien, Helene Cooper, Kathleen Parker, Norah O’Donnell and Maggie Haberman.
- “A Field Guide to the Mature Man” More attempts to instruct us about all things dealing with the male species and they include a feature on the adorable Joel McHale plus they asked comedian Kathy Griffin to name her top reasons NOT to date a man over 40 which totally cracked me up.
- “Maura Tierney: Debunking Chemo Myths” The soon-to-be featured in The Good Wife star has survived breast cancer for three years now and talks to More about dealing with chemo and how she maintains her good health these days.
Check out MORE online here: www.more.com
Oxygen: October 2012
- “Can Kettlebells Trump the Treadmill?” Oxygen looks into the benefits of choosing one over the other when you are crunched for workout time.
- “Lift Up to Firm Up” Do you have medicine balls? Then take this workout with you to work out the entire body.
- “Nothing Can Stop Me Now!” Cover star Melissa Hall is showing off her strong, fit frame after having twins. The former Ms. Bikini Universe is back into the competition game and participated this past August in the WBFF World Championship.
- “Break Through Your Comfort Zone” Jordan Symonds of Reebok CrossFit demonstrates a WOD routine that will kick yer butt for sure.
- “Bottoms Up” If you are looking to work on your glutes—these pages will give ideas that will do just that.
- “Make a Date with Your Weights” You know that lifting weights is just as important for women as it is for men? So do it!!
- “Build a Stronger Back” Oxygen magazine is not interested in creating “skinny minnies” but rather strong females with defined muscles. Here we get ideas on how to build a stronger back.
- “How I Learned to Clean up a Classic” Tosca Reno talks about visiting a sausage factory (get your mind out of the gutter—it was a REAL sausage factory) and figuring how to make a “clean” version of sausage.
Check out Oxygen online: www.oxygenmag.com
Prevention: October 2012
- Dr. Oz: Talk show host and Oprah favorite Dr. Mehmet Oz shares his secrets to “great health” including never skipping breakfast, getting “off your tush” and creating more intimacy in your life.
- “The Healing Power of Plants” The best in the natural world of herbs to cure your stomach aches, ease your heartburn and more.
- “The New Way to Walk it Off” Did you know that using walking poles will help you burn 50% more calories on your next power walk? So get a pair and use them!
- “Mammograms: Who Needs Them” Prevention is taking on the subject of breast cancer (October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month) and informing us on who needs to get a mammogram and when.
- “Problem Solved: Dry Eye” Back when contact lenses were expensive and total crap—I used to have this problem all of the time so I can relate. Here we get tips on how to avoid temporary dry eye.
- “Take a Hike” Loved this! A whole section on the best outdoor gear for your feet. Who doesn’t like a good hike in this fall weather?
Check out Prevention online www.prevention.com
That’s all she wrote today folks. Be sure to check back for more recaps soon.
Until next time!
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
Friend Me on Facebook: “Brooklyn FitChick”
You Tube: “BrooklynFitChick1”