What Did We Learn This Month?
SELF: September 2012
SELF Cover Star for September:
SELF has Jessica Alba on the cover as she is one of the honorees of the annual “Women Doing Good” issue and I for one did not know that she ran an eco-friendly baby products business (called “The Honest Company”) in honor of her daughter—named Honor. (That’s a lot of honor in one sentence, no?)
Anyhoo, one morning several years ago, when Honor was a baby, Jessica noticed she was eating the beads that were from the inside of her diaper which understandably freaked Jessica out. Honor was fine but the incident sparked the actress to create safe & natural products for the whole family. You can learn more about The Honest Company at www.Honest.com and just so you know—a portion of the proceeds help families in need via Baby2Baby.
Good on you Jessica!
Also featured in the “Women Doing Good” is an incredible group of women including:
- Sabrina Cohen: “On a Mission to Reverse Paralysis”
- Tonia Farman: “Lifting Up Cancer Survivors”
- Catherine Wyatt-Morley: “Keeping Women Healthy by Spreading the Word on HIV”
- Jena Dewan-Tatum: “Helping Care for Animals”
- Kerry Washington: “Bringing Arts Education to Underserved Kids”
So What Else is in the September SELF?
SparkPeople.com’s Nicole Nichols
This month’s main workout comes from Nicole Nichols of SparkPeople.com and is partnership with the SELF Diet Club (SDC for short.) Really good moves here that I plan to steal for my own classes!
True story, the first time I had to teach a core class I borrowed the entire routine Nicole presented in this You Tube clip. Enjoy!!
"Can I Borrow That Workout?”
Actress Melissa Joan Hart (Melissa & Joey) shows us how she broke out of her “exercise rut” by joining in with her friends’ favorite workouts.
“Bad Carbs? Good Carbs?”
If you are one of those people who is afraid of eating too many carbs per day—this article will (hopefully) change your mind about that diet choice.
“What’s Black, White and Chic All Over?”
I am just so damn sick of my summer clothes I could just SCREAM! This page made me think of how nice it will be to wear fall-weather fashion. (Hopefully sooner than later!)
The Rest of the Best of the September SELF:
- "My Hair is a Hot Mess!” If your tresses are giving you problems—check out this feature. (Love my beauty stories!)
- "10 Foods for Radiant Skin" Who among us doesn’t want radiant skin?
- "You’re Sleeping All Wrong” It seems every magazine has to do a story on how to get more sleep but for off and on insomniacs like me—that’s a good thing.
- “You Want an OMG Body” SELF asked 1200 readers what stands between them and “ultimate hotness.” Not sure I like reading about women putting that much pressure on themselves (I mean the Jessica Alba’s of the world are a rare occurrence.) However, the food & workout advice given here are solid.
A- The September issue is a good, solid read but once again I wish there were more workouts featured. Maybe next month?
You can check out SELF online at: www.Self.com
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: BrooklynFitChik (be sure to note the spelling!)
“Friend” me on Facebook at “Brooklyn FitChick”
You Tube: "BrooklynFitChick1"