What Did We Learn This Month?
SELF: October 2012
SELF Cover Star for October:
Do you watch Revenge? I somehow missed it when it was first on the air and then indulged and watched an entire season in one weekend this past summer. (Such good stuff!)
Well if you ARE a fan, then you are in luck because Emily VanCamp is on the cover and the 26-year old Canadian import keeps her feet planted firmly in the ground even though people sometimes rudely comment that she appears “bigger” in person (as IF!) The Pilates-loving actress prefers to focus on being healthy snacking on nourishing foods while working 12 to 15 hour days.
Emily was kind enough to offer her own recipe for chicken souvlaki. Here are the ingredients.
- 2 big handfuls of fresh oregano, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
And here is the recipe: http://www.self.com/healthystars/2012/10/emily-vancamp-slideshow#slide=6
So What Else is in the October SELF?
This month’s “tear away” workout comes from Alex Demers of Focus Integrated Fitness in New York City and utilizes a sandbag you throw around. Damn it—I can’t explain it correctly. Check it out for yourself here at www.UltimateSandbagTraining.com. (I might have to get one though my neighbors will wonder what is going on in my place!
"Mud, Sweat and Tears”
I am not a runner by nature but I would LOVE to try out a mud run one of these days. Maybe next year? Who is with me?
“My Name is _ and I’m a Food Addict”
This is an incredible essay from Taffy Brodesser-Akner about her struggles with compulsive eating disorder. You need to get the October issue and read it for yourself.
“Happy Birthday, Pink Ribbon”
Did you know that SELF started the very first “pink ribbon” campaign 20 years ago? Well now you do and can read all about the history of the campaign (so far) here: http://www.self.com/health/2012/10/history-of-the-pink-ribbon-slideshow#slide=1
All “Pink” Shopping Special
This year’s batch of “pink” items that will benefit breast cancer charities are featured in this section.
“Get Hot at Home”
Actress Brooke D’Orsay (Royal Pains) works out at home in a kick-ass gym (whoo boy you need to see it for yourself!) Here are a few items you can get for your home to get in your workout.
The Rest of the Best of the October SELF:
- "Breathe for an Awesome Body” Learning how to breathe properly can help you relax and workout better.
- "Eat Fat, Lose Weight!" Are you ready for this? Bacon is not the devil and you can enjoy some fatty foods and still be healthy!
- "SELF Saved Me!” Breast cancer survivor Alison Irwin owes her good health to following the breast cancer detection instructions from last year’s October issue. Yeah Alison!
- “Would You Drink This?” SELF gives us all the information on that new-fangled fermented tea—kombucha.
A! The October issue is a great read and filled with good information. Go get it today!
You can check out SELF online at: www.Self.com
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: BrooklynFitChik (be sure to note the spelling!)
“Friend” me on Facebook at “Brooklyn FitChick”
You Tube: “BrooklynFitChick1”