What Did We Learn This Month?
Recaps of Bicycling, FitnessRX for Women and Prevention
Hey there! Hi there! Ho there!
Can you believe it is already time to review the December issues? Whew! Okay kids—I have stacks and stacks of them to go through and here are a few of my faves in recap form.
Bicycling: December 2012
- “Rest Assured” I did NOT do enough riding this past season and am determined to make that up for that in 2013 so I appreciated the advice given here by Selene Yeager who advises we treat winter as “downtime” and not “off-season.”
- “Think Outside the Box” Hallelujah—chocolate is actually GOOD for you and can help with your training! Check out the best chocolate-flavored goodies here. Includes a yummy recipe for “Georgia Gould’s Walnut Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream.”
- “Spin the Globe” Do you need some ideas on where to take your bike on vacation next year? Check out this section.
- “Nothing Like It” One day I hope to be able to afford a spiffy titanium bike but I the meantime—I will read these types of articles (that feature the best builders in the world.)
- “Rapid Returns” Tips for simple changes you can make in your everyday life that can help you become stronger.
- “Revolutionary Rides” All about how 27.5 inch tires are setting the new standard in mountain biking.
Check out Bicycling online: www.bicycling.com
FitnessRX for Women: December 2012
- “Training Info-Bits” FitnessRX for Women has a fantastic “front of book” section where they include all kinds of fitness and nutrition bits of information. In particular I liked the article on how “High-Intensity Interval Training Decreases Body Fat.
- “Stretch Mark Cures” Should this bother you—here we get advice on how to get rid of those annoying stretch marks.
- Nathalia Melo: The 2012 Olympia Bikini Champion offers her personal “butt-shaping workout”
- “Time-Saving Holiday Training Guide” If you are like me and have a million, zillion obligations over the holiday season—you will like these quick workout ideas from Amanda Latona.
- “Tight &Toned Abs Workout” Loved this! Dianna Dahlgren’s “Flat Ab Circuit.” She won for ‘best abs” at the IFBB Bikini division.
- “Prevent Holiday Weight Gain” Fitness RX for Women gives ten pieces of solid advice on how to maintain a healthy weight during the holidays.
- “10 Training and Nutrition Tips for Success” Nicole Wilkins (Figure International and Figure Olympia champion) offers her own tips to help all of us hit our health/nutrition goals.
Check out FitnessRX for Women online: www.fitnessrxwomen.com
Prevention: December 2012
- Jamie Lee Curtis: Just about one of my favorite actresses in show business is on the cover and Prevention and she talks about staying healthy after 50, running her first 5k (she used an iPhone app to train!) and her favorite books of all time.
- “Should You Get a Flu Shot?” (Reminds me I need to make that appointment soon.)
- “Should you Go Gluten-Free?” The hot thing right now in the nutrition world is food allergies and gluten is THE thing many folks are being diagnosed as a “no-no” in their diet. But, should you avoid them as well?
- “Migraines” Prevention talks about the triggers for this most debilitating of ailments plus how you can lessen the number you get (should you get them which I hope you do not!)
- “Supermarket Saves and Splurges” Excellent advice on what you should spend the extra money on at the grocery store and where you can save your pennies.
- “Joint Decisions” If you think that only the elderly get hip and knee replacements—think again! Baby Boomers are the new big recipient of these surgeries and here we get great information on what you need to know before going under the knife.
Check out Prevention online www.prevention.com
That’s all I have today folks. Well—there is one more thing I want to share…
Until next time!
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
Friend Me on Facebook: “Brooklyn FitChick”
You Tube: “BrooklynFitChick1”