What Did We Learn This Month?
Recaps of Bicycling, MORE, Oxygen and Prevention
Hey there! Hi there! Ho there!
After a week of giveaways I am happy to be back with some magazine recaps here for your pleasure. Today’s batch is filled with great advice to keep you in shape over the winter months. Let’s get to it—shall we?
Bicycling: January/February 2013
- Patrick Dempsey: Bicycle has their first celebrity on its cover in quite some time with Dr. McDreamy (I think that is the nickname of his TV character—I have never seen the show!) Patrick a hard core cyclist who has created a charity ride in his home state of Maine plus he created the “Dempsey Center” which helps folks affected by cancer (nice guy this Patrick Dempsey!)
Patrick is posing on the cover in a super rare bike—in fact only two of them exist. One is his and the other (a custom Globe) you can enter an auction to put on the winning bid for at the following link--Bicycling.com/roll8action.
- “Now Hear This” When you ride—your body can send you all kinds of signals (my lower back likes to say—“help!”) Here is a guide on what physical symptoms to pay attention to while cycling and what to do about the more annoying ones.
- “Lactic Acid” The “fact” and “fiction” behind lactate and how to train better with it.
- “Winterize Your Bike” I am a bit of a sissy when it comes to riding in super cold weather but the picture on page 38 makes me want to take on the open road in tundra!
- “Winter Warriors” And now for some gear that will inspire me more to get outdoors in the winter.
- “2696 Pounds/36 Lives” A must-read! If you are looking for a little “get healthy inspiration” for the New Year—than check out this real-live Bicycling readers’ stories on how they lost weight while enjoying life on two wheels.
- “This is Your Wake-Up Call” Sleep is key to healing your body and getting in shape for longer rides. How to get more ZZZ’s is featured here.
Check out Bicycling online here: www.bicycling.com
More: December 2012/January 2013
- Marisa Tomei: The still-amazing looking actress (holy crap—she is turning 48 years-old this month!) talks about her incredible film career plus her annual trips (with her entire family) to Italy wherein the younger generation learns how to cook from their elders. Last year Marisa and her brother make a zeppole that knocked everyone on their ass.
- “Beauty: What’s Age Got to Do With It?” Three different experts discuss how you feel about the aging can truly affect how you look on the outside.
- “The Hidden Message of Style” You have to go to page 64 to see one of the most stylish couples I have ever seen in a photo. Be sure to post a comment below once you have seen it!!
- “37 Gifts They Won’t Forget” This was one of the more interesting and unique gift guides I have seen this year!
- “Fun, Festive Fashion Under $100” The editors of More found some great frocks, sweaters, pumps and more than will make you look sexy and won’t bust your budget.
Check out MORE online here: www.more.com
Oxygen: January 2012
- “Perk Up Your Cold-Weather Mood” Oxygen offers strategies for getting through the winter blahs.
- “Stay In, Slim Down” If you are looking for a butt-kicking workout you can do at home—then this is the article for you. This is the first part of a 12-week program created by Oxygen.
- Ronda Rousey: The 25 year-old UFC star (she punches for a living!) is just your average former teen-bassoon playing athlete who dreams of a Hollywood career and is prepared for a zombie apocalypse just in case the undead rise to rule over us. Really! Read her interview for yourself if you don’t believe me.
- “Four Weeks to a Leaner You” Do you like Quinoa? It’s a pretty groovy carb that will keep you lean while feeling full. Here we get some yummy recipes from one-pot chicken to sushi and more.
- “Punch, Kick and Jab Your Way Fit” I have just started learning some boxing moves and enjoyed the feature on Ronda Rousey’s favorite moves.
- “Lift Weights, Save Your Sick Days” Lifting weights will not only get you sexy muscles and help burn calories—they can also help boost your immune system, people!
- “Own the Aisles” Oxygen picks the nine health foods you need to give a whirl this month.
- “The Power of Women” Tosca Reno (one of my fitness heroes!) talks about 2013 being a banner year for women everywhere.
Check out Oxygen online: www.oxygenmag.com
Prevention: Winter 2013
- Goldie Hawn: The star of some of my favorite films of all time (Overboard, Private Benjamin and The First Wives Club) talks about how she stays fit and happy at 67 years-old!! I will do whatever Goldie tells me to.
- “Masks from Mother Nature” The best beauty masks that use only natural ingredients.
- “Your Superfast Winter Workout” Jarett Perelmutter (owner and trainer at Brick Performance Training in Los Angeles) designed a workout that will get you fit in no time flat.
- “The Brain Benefits of Doing Nothing” Prevention gives us all permission to sit on our butts and be a big, old bag of lazy bones from time-to-time. Thanks Prevention!
- “Our Ultimate Fitness Guide” This is probably my favorite gift guide of the month! Really excellent stuff here they I may just have to get for myself… (My friend Erica Sara is featured here by the way. You can find her incredible jewelry at www.ericasaradesigns.com)
- “Are You Caught Up in a Cycle of Emotional Eating?” Author Pam Peake, MD (The Hunger Fix) talks about how break free of eating to deal with pain and learn to enjoy your life (with food) in a healthy manner.
- “Keep Your Home Healthy This Winter” I work from home and on days that are freezing and/or snowing (you know—like in winter?) I am lucky if I leave my place some days to pick up my mail. If you are indoors during the cold months—this article will help make your home healthier.
Check out Prevention online www.prevention.com
So that is all I have for today folks. Have you read of these magazines this month? What did you think? Let me know!
Until next time!
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
Friend Me on Facebook: “Brooklyn FitChick”
You Tube: “BrooklynFitChick1”