What Are the “Men’s” Teaching Us This Month?
Hey there! Hi there! Ho There!
It’s been way too long since I have done this but it time to get our “Men’s” on with my recaps of the latest Men’s Fitness, Men’s Health and Men’s Journal. Whoo hoo! I love checking out what the dudes are into right now and I think these are some fantastic magazines we are checking out today.
In the past I have been asked to pick a favorite among the three but I refuse to do that today. (I’m all about the magazine love guys!)
So without further ado—let’s get to the “Men’s”-style recapping, shall we?
Men’s Fitness: February 2013
- Jason Statham: I am not sure what happened to me but I am now almost completely attracted to baldies and this is one, sexy bald dude. My friend Missy will agree with me that putting Jason Statham on the cover was an excellent idea. (Swoon!) Thank you Men’s Fitness!
- “Hybrid Lifts” Combining two exercises is called a “hybrid” and here the editors describe the clean/front squat/push press, deadlift/shrug and RDL/bentover row/high pull explained.
- “Don’t Choke” If you have a problem with freezing up when you need to perform under high pressure situations—learn from the pros in baseball, basketball and soccer on how to handle the stress of big moments.
- Christian Slater: My friend Pam is the biggest Christian Slater fan of ALL TIME and is right now so excited to read he is this magazine.
- “The MF Home Gym Guide” I know these home gyms (perfect for the outdoor, office or garage) are supposed to male-focused but I want them for myself!
- “Unlock Your Full Potential” This article is all about how to boost your HGH (Human Growth Hormone) levels.
You can check out Men’s Fitness: www.mensfitness.com
Men’s Health: February 2013
- Liam McIntyre: The Australian actor is entering his second season of Spartacus and is a graduate of a ‘gladiator boot camp.” He is also super-hot. Mrow!
- “The Mayor Will Save You Now” Cory Booker (the Mayor of Newark, NJ) is one of the most famous elected officials in the country with a reality show under his belt and over a million Twitter followers. He was also gaining a great deal of weight on his 6’ 3” frame from stress eating so Booker put himself on an exercise & fitness plan to lose over 40 pounds since last summer. Check out how he did it here.
- “Flatten Your Belly” Tips for how to use the cardio machines at the gym to burn the most fat.
- “What Would Houdini Do?” Advice for handling all sorts of hairy situations from a deer hitting your car to your friend passing out from too much booze.
- “The Best and Worst Cities for Men” Men’s Health exclusive survey finds out the best places in the U.S. for men folk to live with the top being Boise, ID; San Jose, CA and San Francisco, CA.
- “You’re Doing it Wrong” If there is any sentence that enrages me quickly it’s that one. Name me on woman who says she loves being corrected by her man and I will call her a wimp to her face. But this article was very helpful and informative. So I will let it go THIS time Men’s Health.
- “The 8-Hour Diet” Now this is something I can get behind! Scientists are finding that our modern “24/7” lifestyle is playing havoc on our waistlines and that restricting the amount of time you allow yourself to eat (all meals within 8 hours total during the day) will help keep fat at bay.
- “When Your Feelings Turn Fatal” Controlling your mood and how you handle stressful situations will help you live a longer and healthier life. Tips on how to do just that.
- “Seven Test of True Strength” Men’s Health created their own physical test for you to try at your fancy new home gym (you have one of those—right?) These seven moves will show how fit you really are!
Check out Men’s Health online: www.MensHealth.com
Men’s Journal: February 2013
- Josh Brolin: My former roommate Diana interviewed Josh over ten years ago for a cheesy TV movie he appeared in and said he was by far the sweetest guy in the world who treated her better than any of the other actors on the set. Therefore, I am always in support of Josh Brolin’s films and the magazines that are wise enough to feature him.
- “Obama and the Environment” Men’s Journal offers their advice to the POTUS on how to solve some of our more pressing environmental issues.
- “A Hoop Dream Come True” Serge Ibaka grew up in the Republic of Congo and saw some pretty horrifying things in his lifetime. Nowadays he is a top NBA player with a celebrity girlfriend (Keri Hilson) but he still makes sure to volunteer for UNICEF in his native Congo every summer. Nice guy, this Sege!
- “The Shark Wrestler” The movie Jaws has forever ruined me for sharks but apparently they are important to the ocean environment and Eric Ozolins is just the guy to help them out off the coast of Texas’ Gulf Coast. I loved reading this article but my favorite quote has too many “F” words so you are going to read it for yourself and see why it is so awesome.
- “The Newest Faraway Places” Holy smokes could I use a vacation in a faraway place with sand and such. Some of the newer hot vacay spots mentioned here are Itacaré, Brazil and Olympos, Turkey.
- “The Runaway Mogul” What a great read! Loved this so much. Tom Freston was in charge of MTV for over 25 years and after he was fired—decided to take over Bono’s charity and is now doing all kinds of do-gooder stuff all over the globe. Good on Tom Freston!
- “The Master of Disaster” Bob Bea is one of the top experts in the world on “engineering failures” and believe me—he is one busy dude. Try not to get too scared as Men’s Journal lists “America’s Most Vulnerable Places.” (Gulp!)
Check out Men’s Journal online www.MensJournal.com
So there you have it today—my recaps of the “Men’s” mags. Have you read any of them yet? Which one was your favorite? Let me know what you are reading these days by posting below. Thanks!
Until next time…
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
Friend Me on Facebook: “Brooklyn FitChick”
You Tube: “BrooklynFitChick1”