What Did We Learn This Month?
Recaps of Bicycling, MORE, and Prevention
Hey there! Hi there! Ho there!
The East Coast is gearing up for some kind of a super storm (or just some rain/snow bull sh*t which always makes me crazier) so let’s call this our Pre-Nor Easter magazine extravaganza—yes?
I have a few titles today that will keep you motivated during the winter doldrums so let’s get to it shall we?
Bicycling: March 2013
• “Safety Flair” Who’s gear couldn’t use just a bit more bits of flair, eh? I liked this page of bright-colored safety-type things that made me think spring is around the corner.
• “Take it Inside” OOOOH I get jealous reading about indoor cycling tracks. Do you have one near you? Is it as awesome as I think it is?
• “Balancing Act” I am a BIG fan of probiotics and so is Bicycling apparently—read all about it here.
• “Winter Warriors” And now for some gear that will inspire me more to get outdoors in the winter.
• “Home Remedies” What every cyclist should keep at home to handle common cycling issues.
• “The 2013 Reader’s Choice Awards” 5,000 readers answered the annual Bicycling survey and offer their opinions on a variety of topics from favorite pro cyclists (no one names Armstrong in case you are wondering) to whether or not they would cycle naked if they could. (Read it for yourself to find out!)
Check out Bicycling online here: Bicycling magazine online link.
More: February 2013
• Katie Couric: The star of the new hit talk show Katie admitted to having a pretty easy going life for her first 40 years and then she turned 41. Her husband Jay Monahan died of cancer in 1998 and then a few years later her sister did as well. Her time as the anchor of the CBS Evening News was troublesome and she was becoming more known for dating younger men than her news chops which would be irritating for anyone to deal with. Good interview with Couric and she looks fabulous in the magazine.
• “Make Over Your Metabolism” More asked four women their secrets for managing their metabolism ranging in age from 35-53 years old.
• “How to be Employable Ten Years from Now” I love this topic and appreciate the advice here for keeping relevant in your career. .
• “Cancer: A Huge Leap Forward” There is an “unreported revolution” happening in the world of cancer research and treatments that could be a saving grace for most of us in the future.
• “Boredom Busting Workouts” If you are looking to add a little oomph to your workouts—try some of these suggestions including: TRX, CrossFit, Barre Classes and Dahn Yoga.
• “The Best Superfoods of 2013” Honestly—some of these foods that are being nominated by a variety of experts I have never heard of but I am willing to now give them a try. (Do any of you know about black garlic?)
Check out MORE online here: More magazine online link.
Prevention: February 2013
• “4 Foods for a Longer Life” One of them is coffee so I love this list for sure!
• “Walk off 10, 20 30+ Pounds” Three different “fat-burning” walks are featured here and will help you lose any extra weight with jarring your joints.
• “Happiness is 10 Friends” Studies prove that women with 10 or more friends are much happier than those with five or less. Will you add to my friendship circle?
• “A Crazy, Sexy Anniversary” Kris Carr is a ten years survivor of cancer and a New York Times best-selling author (Crazy, Sexy Cancer Tips which I bought for my friend Jude when she was dealing with breast cancer surgeries and recovery.) Kris is also on the cover and gives an inspiring interview to Prevention in this issue.
• “Hot Yoga Changed My Life—And Helped Me Drop 30 Pounds!” This is the true story of Johnni Southerland who lives in Evansville, IN and looks amazing. My friend Marrilee loves hot yoga. Have any of you done it. Is it really that cool?
• “30 Days to a Healthier Heart” A Prevention special on how to get your ticker into its best shape possible.
Check out Prevention online at this link.
So that is all I have for today folks. Have you read of these magazines this month? What did you think? Let me know!
Until next time!
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
Friend Me on Facebook: “Brooklyn FitChick”
You Tube: “BrooklynFitChick1”