What Did We Learn This Month?
Recaps of Bicycling, GQ and Prevention
Howdy! We are right, smack dab in the middle of summer and there is nothing more fun for me than lying by the water with a stack of magazines. Here are a few of my recent favorites. Enjoy!
Bicycling: August 2011 issue
- “Bicycling Know How” Let’s say you are lucky enough to see the Tour de France in person (it could happen!) You need this guide to figure out the best spots to check out the action.
- “Ticket to Ride” Some of the best spots in North America to mix biking with your vacation.
- "Rise & Shine" “Coach” Chris Carmichael offers us his workout to climb those scary-looking mountains & hills most of us fear.
- "Baby on Board" I often see parents in my neighborhood riding around with little ones in the front and backs of their bikes. “Bike Snob” gives his version on what it was like to ride with his baby the first time. .
- "Vice Le Tour!" Bicycling has Tour de France fever folks! And why the hell not?
- “Bond of Brothers” Luxembourgian brothers Frank & Andy Schleck talk about their rough year at Tour de France in 2010 and their current plans for “getting even.”
- “Masters of the Moutnain” Bicycling tests the best mountain bikes on the market. Where can I get a job like that, people?!
Check out Bicyclingonline at http://www.bicycling.com/
GQ: August 2011 issue
- Mila Kunis: The almost scarily-beautiful actress is on the cover in skimpy underwear and sipping some Starbucks. I read once that Mila came to America from Russia as a child and learned English watching The Mary Tyler Moore Show reruns. Sooo, a few years ago Ed Asner was on the set of her sitcom as a guest and she literally cried when it was her turn to meet him. She even gave him a big hug. That’s always made me like her just a little more than most of her acting peers. She seems grateful.
- “Rewriting the Book on Yoga” Easy guide-for-guys on how to do some basic (and tres necessary) yoga poses.
- “That’s Not Funny, That’s C.K.” Louis C.K. gets the (appropriately) fawning treatment from GQ.
- "The 10 Douchiest Colleges in America" Did your school make the list? Thankfully San Jose State remains non-douchey (whew!)
- "Steve Carell’s Career is Reborn" Did any of us have a doubt about that?
- “It’s a Bird! It’s a Plane! It’s Some Dude!” Writer Jon Ronson goes on patrol with real-life superheroes. Check it out!!
- “We’re Living in the Funniest Moment in History” As evidenced by Jimmy Fallon (and his band,) Tina Fey, Marc Maron’s podcast and more.
- “Jerry-atrics” An interview with Jerry Lewis. Okay GQ. If you say so.
You can check out GQ here http://www.gq.com/
Prevention: August 2011 issue
- Linda Baltes: The lovely cover model has a fulltime job at a medical diagnostics company, is a captain in the air forces reserves and creates holistic health and wellness programs for the military. Go Linda!
- "A Change of Heart About Cholesterol" Dr. Arthur Agatson (The South Beach Heart Program) informs us about the latest news on how to read your cholesterol.
- “End Your Energy Shortage” Tips, Tricks and hints to get your spark back. .
- “Prevention Beauty Awards 2011” The best in beauty from skin to hair.
- “The End of Dieting?” A very interesting story about how some obese women are getting on a healthier path by NOT focusing on calories or a specific diet plan.
- “Get in the Flat Belly Fast Lane” The makers of the Flat Belly Diet now have some moves to get your belly slimmer without the crunches.
- “Run for Cover!” How improvements in pet health insurance can help you furry friend live longer and better. Yay!
Check out Prevention online at this link.
That's all she wrote for now folks. Keep coming back and I will keep you updated on the latest news, reviews, silly videos, playlists, giveaways and all good things that make life worth living. Who can beat that?
Until next time…
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow Me On Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
Friend Me on Facebook: “Brooklyn FitChick”