What Did We Learn This Month?
SELF: December 2012
SELF Cover Star for December:
I have stated before that I adore Hayden Panettiere because she stars in one of my favorite holiday films of all time, Lifetime TV’s "If You Believe" (1999), plus she is so damn tiny and cute I just want to put her in my gym bag and tote her around everywhere. (Really!)
Hayden stars in ABC-TV’s Nashville (have you seen it yet?) and living in that fabulous city has given the actress a true appreciation of her naturally curvy figure and not aim to be stick thin. In fact, she tells SELF “To me, the confident curvy girl is so much sexier than the insecure skinny girl.” Amen!
You can read more about Hayden and her “Happiness Secrets” at self.com.
So What Else is in the December SELF?
Its Christmas time and we need to get our shopping on people! This is a fantastic gift guide with tons of excellent suggestions.
"SELFy Awards 2012?”
The editors of SELF give out their annual wards on the things that made them go “ah!” such as Gwen Stefani’s abs and gymnast McKayla Maroney’s awesome smirk.
“Best Bod on the Block”
Do you have yoga blocks lying around and wonder what the heck you can do with them when not going for the “crow” pose?” Well try some of these moves from trainer Terri Walsh and watch your abs get cut, people!
“SELF Best Cities for Women”
A “100-city smackdown” on the places in the U.S. for the ladies with San Jose, CA being number 1! (I went to San Jose State)
The “rest of the best” include:
2. Bethesda, MD
3. San Francisco, CA
4. Santa Barbara, CA
5. Honolulu, HI
6. Santa Ana, CA
7. Minneapolis, MN
8. Fargo, ND
9. Portland, ME
10. Burlington, VT
“20 Best Fit Tips We’ve Ever Heard”
SELF editors give us their favorite tips—evah!
The Rest of the Best of the December SELF:
- "Why I LOVE Talking to Strangers/Why I HATE Talking to Strangers” I vacillate between being a “super-friendly with strangers” kind of person to totally misanthropic. Here we get both sides of both stances with folks we meet for a brief time.
- "Make a Difference" Did you know you can be a do-gooder doing simple things each day? Well read this issue to find out how!
- "Vacay This Way” According to SELF 29% of people gain weight on vacation. If this is a big worry for you—try their tips for staying on the healthy track while enjoying your downtime.
- “Seething With Envy Good for You?” I can be an amazingly jealous person but I have learned to use that energy to push me harder rather than resent people more.
- “Holiday Brunch in a Crunch” Lots of “nom nom”-worthy recipes featured here.
A- I really enjoyed this issue and it just might be my favorite this month…
Have you read the December SELF yet? What was your favorite article? Do you watch Nashville? Should I add it to my DVR?
You can check out SELF online at: www.Self.com
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: BrooklynFitChik (be sure to note the spelling!)
“Friend” me on Facebook at “Brooklyn FitChick”
Instagram: “margodono”You Tube: “BrooklynFitChick1”